Android | SDK | Android Studio | JSON/REST/API | SQL | Agile
Preferable – Java 8 | HTML 5 | Vertx | Junit | angularjs
Economic Development Initiatives (EDI) Ltd specialises in the development of data collection and survey management software for socio-economic research in International Development.
Our pioneering surveybe software is the leader in its field, providing survey managers with a Computer Assisted Personal Interviewing (CAPI) software suite that gives them direct control of survey design. Surveybe is used in over 56 countries around the world by reputable donor, governmental, development and academic organisations including the World Bank, DFID, BMGF, IFPRI, ILRI and IRRI as well as a number of central statistics agencies and private sector clients. To learn more about us and our work please visit www.surveybe.com and https://www.edi-global.comwww.edi-global.com
To cater to market demands and facilitate sustained growth within the company, surveybe continues to develop. Our roadmap will transition our offering from an offline based software tool to an online, cloud-based product; delivering comprehensive services and modes of use to our wide range of clients that best matches their deployment mechanisms and project realities in the field.
We are seeking an experienced and enthusiastic Android developer responsible for the design, development and maintenance of applications aimed at a number of diverse Android devices. You will be a natural self-starter and problem solver who relishes seeing projects through to completion by taking ownership of tasks within a multi-faceted environment. We anticipate that you will hold a minimum of a first degree in a computing/programming related subject and possibly a Masters degree but it is your track record of success that makes you stand out from the crowd.
Your primary focuses will be the further advancement of surveybe as an Android phone/tablet based app, including some greenfield features, and the development of new cloud-based features including their integration with back-end services.
This is therefore an ideal opportunity to expand your skills into latest event driven, reactive application framework based multi-tier back-end, whilst giving you a great chance to work on Android development consuming cloud based REST services.
You will be working alongside other team members who are engaged on equivalent evolutionary features for the desktop based application using Vertx (ideally you may also have had Java development exposure – but this not essential).
As one would expect within a commercially driven environment this is a fast-paced role that is integral to our continued success and therefore encompasses a secondary level of co-working with our own skilled research team and contact with external surveybe users, who are located across the globe to provide technical assistance on data-driven, research programmes across project phases. Continuous feedback from our user base is incorporated into our development roadmap to ensure surveybe remains at the forefront of CAPI software and this role is critical to our achievement of this.
● Develop new features to connect the app to AWS cloud services using REST and JSON
● Manage the app releases to Play store and recurring agile product releases
● Provide forecasts for the agile feature development
● Design, build and maintain high performance, reusable and reliable code
● Identify/correct bottlenecks and fix bugs in all the products
● Help maintain code quality, organise and automate
● Provide 2nd line technical support to the surveybe user community around the world and overseeing the surveybe support function
● Liaise with EDI Research Team and Development Support Team to ensure lessons learnt and feedback from the surveybe user community is incorporated in future product development
● Some potential development of new features for the equivalent Windows Java based legacy product using Java 8, Vertx, and REST.
● Create new app extensions for emerging trends for research-level surveys on phones/tablets to keep surveybe functionality at the forefront of the community
● Minimum 3 years of Android and commercial development experience
● Proven working experience in Android app development with a demonstrably strong knowledge of Android UI design principles, patterns, and best practices, preferably having published at least a couple of apps.
● Strong knowledge of Android SDK, different versions of Android, and how to deal with different screen sizes
● Experience working with RESTful APIs and JSON to connect Android applications to back-end services using Retrofit
● Passion for creating high quality work with a high attention to detail
● Self-motivated and efficient time management skills
● Ability to work independently and as well as in team environment
● We operate in an international context therefore clear verbal and written communication skills with excellent English language abilities plus the capacity to interact easily and professionally with clients and colleagues is vital.
● Experience in Java 8, Vertx and H2 database
● Experience in automated testing
● Experience with offline storage, multi-threading, and performance tuning
● Working knowledge of the general mobile landscape, architectures, trends, and emerging technologies
● Ability to understand business requirements and translate them into technical requirements
● Proficient understanding of source control systems such as Git, Gradle
● Familiarity with continuous integration tools like Jenkins
● Experience working with Docker, AWS
● RxJava/RxAndroid/DaggerDI knowledge
● Familiarity with cloud message APIs and push notifications
● Experience of JIRA
The position is based at EDI’s offices adjacent to the train station in High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire (a 30 minute journey from London Marylebone). In addition to ‘playing’ with new android tablets from time to time, for the right Android Developer the role comes with the following benefits:
● 31 days holiday (including Bank Holidays and Christmas office closure period) per annum
● Workplace Pension Scheme
● Exciting work/life balance with flexible working hours by mutual agreement
● Work from home options subject to completion of probationary period and within reasonable parameters
● Potential travel to developing countries to observe and contribute to surveybe software deployment in the field by our colleagues within the EDI group of companies and clients.
If you are interested in applying for this role, we’d love to hear from you! Apply by sending an email containing current CV and cover letter expressing why you are best suited to this role to: firstname.lastname@example.org. If you would like to find out more about this role, you are welcome to call Commercial Director, Steven Broadbent on +44 (0)1494 435112 to discuss further.
EDI can only accept applications from those with the legal right to work in the UK. No Contractors or Recruitment Agents please.
The Privacy Notice to accompany this job vacancy can be accessed here.